Inmate Gets 5-year Prison Term For Spitting On Jailer
(Stillwater, Okla.) — A Watonga man who was being held in the Payne County Jail as a courtesy for Blaine County due to his destructive behavior has been given a five-year prison term for spitting on a Payne County detention officer.
As part of a plea bargain, the Payne County sentence for Clifford Hiler, 35, was ordered to run concurrently to a 20-year prison term that Hiler is serving for aggravated assault and battery in Blaine County in 2016, court records show.
Hiler had pleaded guilty on Jan. 26 to placing body fluids on a Payne County detention officer after former felony convictions, and also damaging a jail cell light fixture; the latter is a misdemeanor for which he was given a concurrent one-year jail term, court records show.
On June 29, 2017, six detention officers went to Hiler’s cell in the Payne County Jail to locate a wooden plunger handle, an affidavit said.
“While removing the items from his cell, we discovered a wooden handle from a toilet plunger tucked away in his county-issued mat,” a Payne County detention officer wrote in an affidavit.
“I observed two small glass-like pieces on the top bunk in the cell,” that came from his eyeglasses, the detention officer said.
“We also observed one of the ear pieces on his glasses was stripped down to the metal frame and straightened out and sharpened to a point.
“As we were leaving the pod, it was noticed Inmate Hiler placed what appeared to be feces on the window of the cell door,” the detention officer wrote in his affidavit.
A few minutes later when two detention officers went back for a jail check, Hiler had a piece of glass from a light bulb that he attempted to cut his right wrist with, the affidavit said.
Hiler was taken to be evaluated by a jail nurse and placed into a restraint chair for safety, the affidavit said.
Hiler spit up in the air, which hit a detention officer in the bottom part of his cap’s bill and his forehead, the affidavit said.
A detention lieutenant “grabbed the restraint chair and held it firmly as Inmate Hiler began to bang the back of his head onto the restraint chair,” the affidavit said.
According to state Department of Corrections records, Hiler has also been previously been convicted of:
* assault and/or battery with a dangerous weapon in Blaine County in 2009 for which he served five years of a seven-year prison term;
* aggravated assault and battery and placing a body fluid on a government employee in Blaine County in 2007 for which he served one and one-half years of two concurrent two-year prison terms;
* uttering forged instruments in Blaine County in 2002 for which he served almost four years of a five-year prison term;
* larceny of an automobile in Blaine County in 2001 for which he served about one and one-half years of a seven-year prison term after his probation was revoked in 2007;
* assault and/or battery with a dangerous weapon in Tillman County in 2001 for which he was placed on two years’ probation.